Friday, May 29, 2009

Pre Conception

When my wife and I first met, we had an immiadate connection. We had similar core values and goals which seemed to fit nicely together. We knew right away that we wanted to have children together, but it was important to wait until we were married. Ten months later we took our vows. It was a few months later that we really started to think about the logistics of baby making.
For starters, I lack the ability to make the little swimmers-so that was an immiated barrier. But thank God for donors, so at least we knew we were covered there. Then there was the question of my wife's fertility because she had been having irregular periods. A few doctor visits later and we found out that she basically had cervical cancer. After several more appointments and one procedure, she was given a clean bill of health-but still no period. So, we started Clomid, first at 50mg. When that didn't work the doctor decided not to mess around anymore, bumping it up to 150mg.
And oh, the cycles of Clomid. I probably shouldn't put on this blog anything about my wife's behavior due to the side effects of Clomid, but I will say WOW, I'm not sure I knew her for a little while each month. But thankfully, after one cycle of 150mg we had a positive ovulation test. And then it all began.
We jumped up and down-but what were we suppose to do next? We scrambled for our "insemition" packet, as if the doctors office already knew what a mess we would be after one positive ovulation test-we weren't even pregnant...yet. We called the donor bank and forked over a rediculous amount of money for the smallest tube of body fluid I've ever seen; I had the job of picking it up. It's kind of silly, but the tube kind of became my own little baby-I immediately buckled it up. Next we made actual insemination appointment. Frankly, we were so nervious and excited both of us could hardly sleep.
The night passed, it was 6:30am, still an hour and half away. We made arrangements for our daughter to get dropped off at school by our good friend and headed towards the office. It seemed like one of the longest drives in the world, though it really only took 15 minutes. Once we arrived the nurse kindly took my precious cargo- to count the little swimmers and make sure they were movers and shakers.
About half an hour later the nurse let us back to see my adopted sperm under the microscope. 81 Million with a +2 mobility-meaning they moved in the right direction and weren't like our dog who likes to chase her tail. "Wow," they all said, after all the donor bank only promised 12 million; we hit the 69 Million (sperm) jackpot. Sweet!
Minutes later my the big moment arrive. And so my adopted swimmers started their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment